Re: Type B Package Tests on a Spec DOT 6M package

Jeff,
The DOT Specification 6M packages were used by AEC and DOE for many years.  The documented testing can be found in many government Reports on the subject:

ORNL/TM-8340, The ORNL DOT 6M Special Form Package, 1982.

SAND-88-3005, A Review of the Safety Features of 6M Packagings, 1988 (definitive)

PNL-5747, Radioactive Particulate Release Associated with the DOT 6M Container under Hypothetical Accident Conditions, 1986

PNL-5591, Gas Leak Characteristics of Inner Packaging Components Used in the DOT 6M Container, 1985.

Please note that DOT plans to eliminate use of this specification container at some date in the near future.

Andy Tompkins
LANL/E/WM Off-site Source Recovery Project