RE: ALARA Analysis cost per rem

10CFR50 Appendix I gives the guidance of $1000/total body man-rem and
$1000/man-thyroid-rem.  However, many utilities use a much higher value to
be conservative.  For example, TVA uses $10,000/man-rem and Nine Mile Point
uses $20,000/man-rem.  I have asked a similar question in how that value is
derived and it varied from plant to plant.   Some went through elaborate
analyses to come up with a figure and at some plants management just decided
on a dollar figure.  And some decided on the dollar figure and worked
backwards to find a basis for that figure.  It is arbitrary in nature, but I
think the average value at utilities is around $10,000/man-rem.

Cindy Ledbetter
423-365-1582