1. Quiz(Three Mile Island): 2.What is so special about IONIZED Radiation damage???

Greetings,

Jaroslav wrote:> <><><><><><><><><>>> Question:  that
being the case, what is so special
about radiation damage> that it manages to evoke an
immune response
(hormesis), while all those> other DSBs don't ?

After reading very well educated postings and learning
DEEPER and BROADER into the subject of Radiation
Damage
and cells repair mechanisms.

I have read a very informative and in details
material.
And this is..... great.

1. All this information is EXCELLENT.
2. Oncological studies done on the impressive level
3. A lot of monies have been spend.
4. A lot of Monies DID produce QUALITY information.

But....... the original question was asked:

What is so special about radiation damage?

Jaroslav, I do not see anything special either.

In my opinion,
All those years, there have been done a lot good work
but trying to solve a HYPOTHETICAL problem.

Ionized Radiation is the same in qualitatively cancer
inducing matter as other with lower energies
electromagnetic radiations. Even it has very specific
and in the beginning FRIGHTENING "features" like "Hard
to Detect", "free radical" production,
corpuscular/particle transmission and "MAY BE????" DNA
level structure-interacting  (in-vivo) process.

To be more clear:

The quantity did NOT express in a NEW quality as it
was afraid of.
Heat, non-ionize, all these different electromagnetic
radiations do not have STEP based differential effects
on cell environments.

1. Yes, IONIZED Radiation has VERY UNIQUE features.

But,

Fortunately, for ALL OF US that FEARS of Radiation
WERE grandiosely OVER estimated.

1.1 At first nobody knew what it is and people got
overexposed some unknowingly, some knowingly.

1.2 Second we found very strange things about it and
we Y'all got VERY scary.

1.3 Now it is a matter of time when IONIZED radiation
WILL find it's ESSENTIAL place among other
electromagnetic energy ranges like electricity, radio,
microwaves.

Nevertheless, It was found that ENERGY threshold of
IONIZED radiation for cancer induction COULD be lower
than other mentioned Radiations.

I have my own question:

Did somebody tried to make an energetic correlation
between different ranges of electromagnetic field.
infra/medium/ultra/ionized/ very ionized /
...../Alpha's from
radon's found in house in Pennsylvania's counties /
Cs-134 and Cs-137 found in Chernobyl / I-131 which
could not be detected
in Three Mile Island counting room? ...<-  For reader
who lacks the sense of humor. I put this explanation:
          This portion was a joke.

To be more serious,

The idea is to correlate ENERGY thru out the
electromagnetic spectra to EXPRESSION of effects on
living cells.

Here is the actual quiz for those who have read the
message til this point:

The question:

Why I-131 could not be detected in Three Mile Island?

a. Geocentric specifics of Pennsylvania makes it
impossible to distinguish I-131 from Nobel Gases.

b. High Background due to presents of Nobel Gases

c. Three Mile Island usually is counting:
Nobel Gases:
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Iodine's:
Tuesdays, Thursdays.

The accident has happened on weekend; Nobel Gases were
detected on Monday and by Tuesday all of I-131 decayed
out.

d. Faulty counting equipment.

e. A counting room technician could not find a part in
the procedure which stated: " You SHELL count for
I-131, if Nobel Gases were detected".

f. It is impossible to detect I-131 and Nobel Gases on
the same counting equipment.

g. I-131 detector was broken but Nobel Gas Detector
was operable

h. It is illegal by the state of Pennsylvania Law: to
count
I-131 in presents of Nobel Gases.

i. There was no accident in Three Mile Island;
somebody just tried to bring German's beer inside of
liquid nitrogen's dewars, which is illegal in state of
Pennsylvania, and some trace of Nobel gases were
brought along from Chernobyl's Turbine-Reactor
Experiment.

j. b and d.

k. All of the Above.

l. Non of the Above

The winner is always getting...... something really
good and it is ALWAYS free with no obligations.

Please,
Look forward for upcoming Radsafe's Academy award
nominees among our Health Physics Certificates
holders.
It is coming in March....

Safe weekend and a pleasant Monday for everyone.

Emil.