Fwd: BWC HPS Meeting on February 21 -Good luck

In a message dated 2/17/2001 9:53:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
RadiumProj@cs.com writes:

From what I've seen of Dr. Makhijani's work, and the IEER they are rather
dogmatically anti-nuclear, having acted as rather strong anti-nuclear
advocates in quite a number of situations.

That is exactly why the BWC asked him to speak. It should make for an
interesting evening.

Bob C
bobcherry@aol.com

Dear Bob:
I would imagine the upcoming  HPS presentation by Arjun Makhijani, Ph.D. will
be "interesting" and "stimulating" to the HPS attendees. From what I've seen
of Dr. Makhijani's work, and the IEER they are rather dogmatically
anti-nuclear, having acted as rather strong anti-nuclear advocates in quite a
number of situations. I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide me as to
how his talk comes across when he's talking to a technical radiation
protection audience vs. the geneal media.

For example, see:

Source:
<A HREF="http://www.tompaine.com/opinion/2001/02/06/1.html";>
http://www.tompaine.com/opinion/2001/02/06/1.html</A>
EXCERPT FROM recent article by Dr.  Makhijani

URANIUM AND YOU
How Many Birth Defects and Cancers Should Be Allowed in the Name of National
Security?
Arjun Makhijani is president of the Institute for Energy and Environmental
Research in Takoma Park, Maryland.

It's no secret that nuclear weapon states have harmed many people, and
particularly weapons production workers, in the name of national security.
But how this slow attack on health and the environment was carried out is
still largely unknown and little understood. Through extensive research
during the last two decades, a picture of the damage has begun to emerge from
the fog of denial and propaganda in only one nuclear weapon state -- the
United States.

=============
=============

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674

email:   SAFarberMSPH@cs.com
Phone: [802] 496-3356
==========
In a message dated 2/16/01 5:43:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BobCherry@aol.com writes
> Subj:  BWC HPS Meeting on February 21
>  Date:    2/16/01 5:43:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
>  From:    BobCherry@aol.com
>  Sender:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>  To:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
>

>  Baltimore-Washington Chapter of the Health Physics Society
>  February 21, 2001
>
>  Estimating Worker Doses in Nuclear Weapons Plants
>  Arjun Makhijani, Ph.D.
>
>  Arjun Makhijani is President of the Institute for Energy and Environmental
>  Research in Takoma Park, Maryland. He earned his Ph.D. in engineering at
the

>  University of California, Berkeley, specializing in nuclear fusion. A
>  recognized authority on energy issues and nuclear issues in particular,
Dr.
>  Makhijani is the author and co-author of numerous reports and books on
> topics
>  such as radioactive waste storage and disposal, nuclear testing,
disposition

>  of fissile materials, energy efficiency and ozone depletion. He is the
>  principal editor of Nuclear Wastelands: a Global Guide to Nuclear Weapons
>  Production and Its Health and Environmental/ Effects, published by MIT
Press