Re: Radioactive Minerals Scare

>Yikes!  The British court is outlawing radioactive minerals. Hope the
courthouse isn't made of granite! I had an experience with a show & tell in
my daughter's school. I had them go over their mineral collection with a GM,
and then explained what they found.
-----
I think that this issue is quite important.

If these minerals are removed we can expect:
1. Some people will draw the conclusion that the experts lied or didn't know
previously how dangerous radiation really is etc, etc.
2. With the massmedia as a vector this could turn into psychogenically
induced epidemias (according to the previously mentioned ESS mechanism).
Think about all the potassium containing minerals in museums for instance.
3. Learning about natural radiation is a first step to prevent hysterical
ideas about decays. Removing such minerals from museums will contribute to a
more uneducated general public.

What is next? Ban on fertilizers? Can natural foods be sold without the rad
symbol on them?... Whiskey contains some radioactivity - better put a
nuke-label on that as well so that people don't drink it...

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com
PS. I have a stone with some uranium etc in it at home BTW ("atomic bomb
material in Stockholm" - how about that?). Can't remember where I put it -
should get a gamma instrument and search a little some day.
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/