Re: alpha particles and lung cancer

Harry,

 I think you are hung up on one of two components of most Radioactive decay.  Each decay will usually produce a particle and a photon.  the two most common particles are a beta (electron) particle and a photon (gamma), or in the case of very heavy nuclides, an alpha (2 protons, 2 neutrons) AND A PHOTON.  There are very few nuclides that produce only one component per decay.  I don't think anyone on this list has said that internal alpha radiation is good for you.  Period.  We are all trained that it is not.

The hormetic value probably comes as part of the photonic portion of the decay.  This is the area that needs further study.  Life evolved in a richer energy soup than that present today.  To my knowledge, no one has published any studies on possible energy receptors sensitive to gamma wavelengths.

They are not part of our normal senses  or we would be aware of radiation when exposed.  This does not mean that on a cellular level they don't exist.  Of course it doesn't mean that any do exist either.

Please give up on the Alpha harangue and consider the whole dose issue.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
voice:  614-644-3066