LNT, Collective Dose

Mr. DeCastro,

I may be mistaken, but I think you are mixing up LNT and collective dose
assumptions.

In studies where you collect data at each house, you do not have to make
either LNT or the collective dose assumptions.  Assume you go out to the
nearest town and randomly choose 3 homes to test their radon in their
basement.  Again assume you get readings at the 3 houses of 24
pCuries/liter, 2 pCuries/liter and 1 pCuries/liter.  With summary data using
the collective dose assumptions, you would assume the basement concentration
for each individual in that town is 9 pCuries/liter, correct?  But in
reality, you know the basements were 24, 2 and 1.   In studies using data
from individual houses, you have the readings.  In summary data studies, you
do a poor job of measuring the actual concentrations.

Regardless if the LNT is true or not.  Summary data is not as good as
individual data.  Isn't it the individuals who get the lung cancer and not
everyone on the whole town?  Why allow a few measurements to represent the
whole town when you can collect information on the levels at the houses
where the people have the lung cancer.

Harry
harryhinks@hotmail.com