Re: LNT, Collective Dose

No, that is not correct.  First, three measurements are not enough to give
you a good basis for analysis.  More important, you may say that the average
dose for the three houses is (24+2+1)/3 = 9 pCi/liter but that does not
change the doses in the three houses.  Moreover, if there is more than one
person in any house, then the collective dose is the number of residents
times the average dose in that house.

Curies (or picocuries) are not a measure of dose but a measure of source
strength or, if you will, quantity of radioactive material.  To know what the
dose is, you must know the breathing rate, exposure time, and dose conversion
factor for radon.  In collecting or analyzing data for a large number of
houses (as Dr. Cohen has done, for example) you can use pCi of radon as a
surrogate for dose.

what the LNT theory says is that no matter how small the collective dose
(person-rem), there is a finite, non-zero probability that some radiation
induced cancer will occur in the exposed population.  Extrapolating this idea
to an individual ("if I'm exposed to any radiation I might get cancer") is
dicey at best, and is, in my opinion, a misuse of the notion of risk and
population dose (albeit it is popular).

OK, that's my to cents.

Ruth Weiner
ruthweiner@aol.com