Re: New book series

I can't resist this one.  The last edition of Vesilind, Peirce, and Weiner
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING was produced in camera-ready copy by me on my
Laserjet printer because we wanted to save the students some money, and the
book indeed sold for less that $60.  My advance for doing this bought me the
printer, the paper, and a new cartridge, and if I count what was left after
that and add in the royalties (about $1 per book sold), my hourly rate for
the PRODUCTION (not counting the writing) is about seventy-five cents.  and
that's nothing for the agony of tearing my hair out over formatting, margins,
indexing, typestyle, computer hangups, printer hangups, etc.  At this point I
don't care if the next edition of the book retails for $150 -- I'm NEVER
doing that again. (By the way, if that's the retail price, my share as
co-author is about $6 per book sold.)

Textbook authors do it for (dare I say) love and recognition, not for the
money.

Ruth Weiner
ruthweiner@aol.com