DOE alpha contamination instruments

	I am trying to resolve some information I was given yesterday.  I was
informed that the DOE no longer made the strong recommendation that Pu
facility alpha survey instruments need to be able to operate in a 100 mrem/h
gamma, neutron, or combination of these fields, as recommended by ANSI N317
(ANSI,1980a).  And that this recommendation had been dropped for at least a
decade.
	The problem occurs when I read DOE STD 1128-98, (rad protection for PU
facilities) and the DOE still seems to strongly recommend these parameters.
So, are other facilities able to meet this recommendation?  If not, at what
field strength (gamma, neutron, or combination)does the alpha instrument
background become to high to adequately survey?
	Please respond directly to me unless you feel the reply is of value to
others on the list.
Thanks in advance for any help.

"If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we're getting."
Chris A. Marthaller, RRPT
Sr. Training Coordinator - WIPP
marthac@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us
(505) 234-8661