Re: LNT, Collective Dose

A good example of LNT is the number of cancer deaths purported by the EPA.
They say that 7,000 to 30,000 people in the US die from radon each year.
BEIR VI states that if everyone in the US brought their radon levels to
below 4 pCi/L (about 148 Bq/m^3) this number (pick one) would be cut by
1/3. In other words, if smoking does not change and everyone in the US
mitigate their radon levels down to below the EPA action level, there would
not likely be a statistical reduction in lung cancer rates. Most lung
cancers projected by the BEIR committee, and subsequently the EPA, come
from a calculated small risk projected on a huge genuine population exposed
to very low levels of radon. I've heard EPA staff state that if something
is a known carcinogen they have to apply the LNT. What strikes me as
bizarre is that of all the "known" carcinogens for lung cancer, the LNT is
essentially the only one applied to radon. From the studies I've read while
trying to make sense of the radon issue, the LNT is not applied to second
hand smoke, pulmonary fibrosis, diet, or even smoking.

Tom

--
Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP
University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg
Wright State University
Dayton, Ohio 45435
tom.mohaupt@wright.edu
(937) 775-2169
(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin