Hormesis?

An article in a Korean Newspaper (Chosun, 19:47, 2/27/01) stated about benefit
of low level exposure to radiation.  Dr. Yun-Sil Lee and his/her group from
biological effects of radiation group in Korea Nuclear Hospital (this is my word
for word translation and may not be an accurate name) performed this study.

Two groups of mice were irradiated to 6-8 Gy.  One group was irradiated to 1 cGy
prior to 6-8 Gy irradiation (article did not indicate lapse time in between two
irradiations). The other group of mice did not have previous exposure. The group
which received 1 cGy prior to higher dose had significantly higher survival
rate.

The researcher discovered that when mice were irradiated to low level exposure.
Heat Shock Protein (HSP) 25 and HSP 70 genes were activated to minimize ( reduce
or endure) radiation damage.

This is my own translation. I could not find English version. M. Jo

Myung Chul Jo, (Mr. Jo), MS, CHP <mjo@unr.edu>
EH&S, MS 328
University of Nevada Reno
Reno, NV 89557