Re: tooth fairy project - results?

The study had earlier been linked by some to Johns Hopkins University, while close scrutiny shows that it is the editor of the journal who has that affiliation, rather than some official endorsement by the medical center.

Efforts to gain private and government funding continue.  With respect to government funding, efforts remain underway on a broad scale to gain funding which is focused on the state level.  In the State of New York, Westchester and Suffolk counties have provided $25K and $35K, respectively.

When 5,000 teeth are analyzed, RPHP plans to correlate the levels of radioactivity by location.  Currently the group targets areas around nuclear plants by zip code.

As mentioned in previous postings by RADSAFERS, RPHP is closely linked to the STAR Foundation (http://www.noradiation.org), and numerous other activist groups, with actor Alec Baldwin donating his time and often serving as the moderator for key Tooth Fairy Project public meetings.

In an attempt to get valid information, I contacted the USEPA, specifically officials at the National Air and Radiation Monitoring Laboratory, who operate the Environmental Radiation Ambient Monitoring System (ERAMS).  This program continues to analyze Sr-90 in air, soil, water and milk across the U.S.  The EPA would not comment on the Tooth Fairy Project at that time since nothing had been published, and they are understandably not inclined to comment on anecdotal information.  Hopefully now that this study has surfaced the EPA will provide some comment regarding the lack of any such increase in Sr-90 (granted they are using different medium), or take some action to verify the methodology and results of the study.  One can view Sr-90 quarterly data from 1993-1997 on the ERAMS web site (< http://www.epa.gov/narel/erdonline.html>).

It is expected that the State of New Jersey would address the issues raised by the project in their upcoming report regarding Toms River, New Jersey and cancers in that area.

This posting has been provided with the intent of offering some new information possibly not previously reported on RADSAFE.  It is not meant to impugn any individuals involved.  Good science should prevail in resolving this issue.

My personal opinion only,

Roger Shaw, CHP
McCarter & English
973-622-4444

Franz. you wrote:

RADSAFErs,

I have since long not heard anything about the tooth fairy project and a =
search on "junkscience" revealed no useful information.

I do not want to start another thread on the nonsense of this topic, it =
has been discussed exhaustively, but I would be interested, whether any =
results have been published yet. To me it seems that the publication of =
results has been announced to take place within "short time" since =
almost two years. Maybe they are still collecting funds.......

Franz

This e-mail message from the law firm of McCarter & English, LLP is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
contact the sender by reply e-mail (or at helpdesk@mccarter.com) and