Membrane filter collection efficiency

- --part1_6b.115b1408.27e67704_boundary

- ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C0B138.3915F880

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Greetings all:

I am trying to find information on the collection efficiencies of

membrane-type filters for respirable particles (~.3 micron) at face

velocities typical of lapel pumps (~2 - 10 lpm). My goal is to move from the

0.8 micron pore size to a larger size (preferrably 5 micron or more) in

order to improve pump operation and reduce filter loading. I have apocryphal

knowledge that filters with the larger pore sizes collect the smaller

particles at high efficiencies, but I have no empirical data. Does anyone

know of any resources or studies that have been done? I have done a fairly

thorough web search, and I have tried to search the RADSAFE archives, but

there seems to be some trouble with that since the changeover. Please

respond to me directly unless you feel that the information would be useful

to the group.

Tim Gillespie, CHP

SEC Program Technical Manager

Phone:  241-9384