" animal burial " versus " nuke dump "

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B6BF.5F13DBB0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Anyone else notice, in all these media reports on foot-and-mouth disease,

how journalists diligently avoid calling ditches a few meters deep dug for

animal carcasses "burial grounds" or "burial sites," but almost invariably

refer to caverns dug hundreds of metres underground for nuclear waste

disposal "nuke dumps" ?!!!   ....how about putting those carcasses in welded

titanium casks ?? ...and where are all those thousands of Greenpukes that

are supposed to block the route of hazardous cargo shipments ?? ...did they

suddenly have a bout of common sense ?  Duh.

Jaro

frantaj@aecl.ca <mailto:frantaj@aecl.ca>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1244000/1244971.stm

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1244000/1244971.stm>

Tuesday, 27 March, 2001, 10:29 GMT 11:29 UK

Scots animal burial site chosen

A 25-acre site south of Lockerbie has been chosen for the mass burial of

carcasses north of the Border.

But a local councillor said people were still confused as to whether the

burial of animals at Birkshaw Forest would be enough to finally rid the

region of the disease.

The vice chairman of the Dumfries and Galloway National Farmers Union, Robin

Spence, said that despite the fact locals do not like the idea of being near

a mass burial ground, they see it as the only way to eradicate the disease.

It is expected sheep will be brought to the site on Wednesday for burial as

efforts to curb the outbreak are stepped up.

Councillor Andrew Bell told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme that

people were actually surrpised that mass burial had not taken place far

sooner.

He said: "I think a lot of locals have been thinking 'why on earth aren't

they burying rather than burning these animals'.

"I'm sure all the local agencies have been brought in on this and every

possible safety precaution will be taken."

The site is in close proximity to infected farms in Gretna and Dumfries and

will be used to initially bury unaffected sheep that have been culled within

the 3km zone.

But Mr Bell said locals were worried about when the region would be

completely free from the virus.

"It's also so important that we use the right roads to get into the burial

site," he said.

"The word terror is not quite right but people are very frightened of this

disease. I think we still have a long way to go."

Personally I can't see the point of vaccinating then slaughtering. Get this

slaughter thing up and running quickly

Mr Spence said: "It would be very easy to say not in my backyard, but it has

to be somewhere and if we are to have any hope of fighting this disease then

we have to get on top if it."

He said the region had endured a frustrating period without a site for the

burial of carcasses and acting in a quick and efficient manner was the key

to conquering the disease.

Mr Spence said: "We've got to take the broader picture here. If we don't

stop this in Dumfries and Galloway there is going to be no stock elsewhere

in the country for us to re-stock from."

The River Annan runs by the burial site and environmental fears have been

raised about the possibility of the disease travelling by water.

Tourism pledge

But trees have been cut down to prevent the chance of disease spread.

Mr Spence added: "There has been talk of vaccination and then slaughter.

Personally I can't see the point of vaccinating then slaughtering. Get this

slaughter thing up and running quickly."

He said that he did not feel it would be a long term option.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Tourist Board has expressed concern over the

reporting of the epidemic and the affect it is having on the industry.

STB chief executive Peter McKinlay said: "We are very concerned about the

reporting of foot-and-mouth particularly abroad and want to ensure that

messages about Scotland being open for business are seen far and wide."

Mr McKinlay added that the board's website would continue to encourage

visitors to the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1243000/1243725.stm

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1243000/1243725.stm>

Monday, 26 March, 2001, 19:24 GMT 20:24 UK

Mass cull burial site earmarked

A 25-acre site in south-west Scotland has been earmarked for the mass burial

of up to 200,000 animal carcasses destroyed because of foot-and-mouth

disease.

The Scottish Executive announced that the landfill site at Birkshaw Forest,

south of Lockerbie, is intended to speed up the disposal of

potentially-infected animals.

The site should be available to receive animal carcasses by Wednesday,

according to the Executive.

The news came as the total number of confirmed cases of foot-and-mouth in

Dumfries and Galloway rose to 88 on Monday.

Although all cases of the disease in Scotland have been within Dumfries and

Galloway, there is concern that the outbreak has spread to the west of the

region, which was previously unaffected.

On Saturday, a farm at Castle Douglas was confirmed as having the disease,

whereas previous cases had been to the east of the town of Dumfries.

Farming liaison officer Robin Spence said: "There is huge concern that the

disease is spreading west.

"We have to be brutal and pre-emptive and take out all the infected stock."

Meanwhile, Scotland Office Minister George Foulkes has praised Borders

Council for its handling of the crisis and preventing the disease spreading

to the region.

Mr Foulkes was in Hawick and Galashiels on Monday to see how the region was

coping.

He said the fact it remains disease free for the time being was proof of the

council's competence in the matter.

In recent weeks the council has received criticism from farmers in the

Newcastleton area.

They said not enough was being done to decontaminate vehicles entering the

region from Dumfries and Galloway and Cumbria.

A member of the ruling administration - Liberal Democrat Norman Pender -

broke ranks with council colleagues by saying much tougher measures were

required.

But the Scottish Borders Caravan Council has been cancelled because of the

foot-and-mouth epidemic.

The council said the number of confirmed bookings had dropped to around 120,

from the 500 they expected.

Many people kept their caravans on farm sites and could not gain access to

them, and the preferred venue for the festival was no longer available.

Senior councillors are meeting with tourism officials on Monday to discuss

the possibility of relaxing some of the countryside movement restrictions to

help entice visitors back to the region.

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B6BF.5F13DBB0

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>

<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3105.105" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

<BODY>

<DIV>Anyone else notice, in all these&nbsp;media reports on foot-and-mouth

disease, how journalists diligently avoid calling ditches a few meters deep dug

for animal carcasses "burial grounds" or "burial sites," but almost invariably

refer to caverns dug hundreds of metres underground for nuclear waste disposal

"nuke dumps" ?!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; ....how about putting those carcasses in

welded&nbsp;titanium casks ?? ...and where are all those thousands of Greenpukes

that are supposed to block the route of hazardous cargo shipments ??&nbsp;...did

they suddenly have a bout of common sense ?&nbsp; Duh.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>Jaro</DIV>

<DIV><A href="mailto:frantaj@aecl.ca";>frantaj@aecl.ca</A></DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV><A

href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1244000/1244971.stm";

target=_blank>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1244000/1244971.stm</A><BR>Tuesday,

27 March, 2001, 10:29 GMT 11:29 UK<BR>Scots animal <STRONG><FONT

color=#ff0000>burial site </FONT></STRONG>chosen<BR><BR>A 25-acre site south of

Lockerbie has been chosen for the mass <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial

</FONT></STRONG>of carcasses north of the Border.<BR>But a local councillor said

people were still confused as to whether the <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial

</FONT></STRONG>of animals at Birkshaw Forest would be enough to finally rid the

region of the disease.<BR>The vice chairman of the Dumfries and Galloway

National Farmers Union, Robin Spence, said that <FONT color=#ff0000>despite the

fact locals do not like the idea of being near a mass <STRONG>burial

ground</STRONG>, they see it as the only way to eradicate the

disease</FONT>.<BR>It is expected sheep will be brought to the site on Wednesday

for burial as efforts to curb the outbreak are stepped up.<BR>Councillor Andrew

Bell told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme that people were actually

surrpised that mass <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial </FONT></STRONG>had not

taken place far sooner.<BR>He said: "I think a lot of locals have been thinking

'why on earth aren't they <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burying

</FONT></STRONG>rather than burning these animals'.<BR>"I'm sure all the local

agencies have been brought in on this and every possible safety precaution will

be taken."<BR>The site is in close proximity to infected farms in Gretna and

Dumfries and will be used to initially <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>bury

</FONT></STRONG>unaffected sheep that have been culled within the 3km

zone.<BR>But Mr Bell said locals were worried about when the region would be

completely free from the virus.<BR>"It's also so important that we use the right

roads to get into the <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial site</FONT></STRONG>,"

he said.<BR>"The word terror is not quite right but people are very frightened

of this disease. I think we still have a long way to go."<BR>Personally I can't

see the point of vaccinating then slaughtering. Get this slaughter thing up and

running quickly<BR><FONT color=#ff0000>Mr Spence said: "It would be very easy to

say <STRONG>not in my backyard</STRONG>, but it has to be somewhere and if we

are to have any hope of fighting this disease then we have to get on top if

it."<BR></FONT>He said the region had endured a frustrating period without a

site for the <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial </FONT></STRONG>of carcasses and

acting in a quick and efficient manner was the key to conquering the

disease.<BR>Mr Spence said: "We've got to take the broader picture here. If we

don't stop this in Dumfries and Galloway there is going to be no stock elsewhere

in the country for us to re-stock from."<BR>The River Annan runs by the

<STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>burial site</FONT></STRONG> and environmental fears

have been raised about the possibility of the disease travelling by

water.<BR>Tourism pledge<BR>But trees have been cut down to prevent the chance

of disease spread.<BR>Mr Spence added: "There has been talk of vaccination and

then slaughter. Personally I can't see the point of vaccinating then

slaughtering. Get this slaughter thing up and running quickly."<BR>He said that

he did not feel it would be a long term option.<BR>Meanwhile, the Scottish

affect it is having on the industry.<BR>STB chief executive Peter McKinlay said:

"We are very concerned about the reporting of foot-and-mouth particularly abroad

and want to ensure that messages about Scotland being open for business are seen

far and wide."<BR>Mr McKinlay added that the board's website would continue to

encourage visitors to the country. <BR></DIV>

<P><A

href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1243000/1243725.stm";

target=_blank>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_1243000/1243725.stm</A><BR>Monday,

26 March, 2001, 19:24 GMT 20:24 UK<BR>Mass cull <STRONG><FONT

color=#ff0000>burial site </FONT></STRONG>earmarked<BR><BR>A 25-acre site in

south-west Scotland has been earmarked for the mass <STRONG><FONT

color=#ff0000>burial </FONT></STRONG>of up to 200,000 animal carcasses destroyed

because of foot-and-mouth disease.<BR>The Scottish Executive announced that the

landfill site at Birkshaw Forest, south of Lockerbie, is intended to speed up

the disposal of potentially-infected animals.<BR>The site should be available to

receive animal carcasses by Wednesday, according to the Executive.<BR>The news

came as the total number of confirmed cases of foot-and-mouth in Dumfries and

Galloway rose to 88 on Monday.<BR>Although all cases of the disease in Scotland

have been within Dumfries and Galloway, there is concern that the outbreak has

spread to the west of the region, which was previously unaffected.<BR>On

Saturday, a farm at Castle Douglas was confirmed as having the disease, whereas

previous cases had been to the east of the town of Dumfries.<BR>Farming liaison

officer Robin Spence said: "There is huge concern that the disease is spreading

west.<BR>"We have to be brutal and pre-emptive and take out all the infected

stock."<BR>Meanwhile, Scotland Office Minister George Foulkes has praised

Borders Council for its handling of the crisis and preventing the disease

spreading to the region.<BR>Mr Foulkes was in Hawick and Galashiels on Monday to

see how the region was coping.<BR>He said the fact it remains disease free for

the time being was proof of the council's competence in the matter.<BR>In recent

weeks the council has received criticism from farmers in the Newcastleton

area.<BR>They said not enough was being done to decontaminate vehicles entering

the region from Dumfries and Galloway and Cumbria.<BR>A member of the ruling

administration - Liberal Democrat Norman Pender - broke ranks with council

colleagues by saying much tougher measures were required.<BR>But the Scottish

Borders Caravan Council has been cancelled because of the foot-and-mouth

epidemic.<BR>The council said the number of confirmed bookings had dropped to

around 120, from the 500 they expected.<BR>Many people kept their caravans on

farm sites and could not gain access to them, and the preferred venue for the

festival was no longer available.<BR>Senior councillors are meeting with tourism

officials on Monday to discuss the possibility of relaxing some of the

countryside movement restrictions to help entice visitors back to the

region.<BR></P></BODY></HTML>

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B6BF.5F13DBB0--