RE: " animal burial "

This is accepted as more than a possibility; the current assumption is that

it is the cause.  Links of this sort have been demonstrated in several

similar studies: a spongiform encephalopathy of minks, shown to come from

feeding them scrapie-infected sheep: kuru among New Guinea tribes, who

consumed their dead; etc.

This is the reason the practice has been outlawed for food animals in

several countries, and a herd of cattle in Texas will probably be destroyed

simply because they were fed supplements contaminated with ungulate protein.

The real scary part is that. because prions are non-living, they are not

inactivated by sterilization techniques.

Dave Neil    neildm@id.doe.gov

I fed some lemon to my cat and now I have a sour puss.