Re: Commissioner Dicus speaks on the public's perception about Radiat ion Pro...

Group,

I think the point that the 10% smear efficiency value is not really used is

valid.  I don't know of anyone in commercial nuclear power that uses a 10%

smear efficiency for personal protection measurements (10CFR20).  For

example, all that I've seen in writing says that a GM frisker should be able

to see 1000 dpm on a smear.  Using a 100% smear efficiency, this is

approximately 100 cpm above bkg, but if you used a 10% smear efficiency,

you'd be looking for approximately 10 cpm above background.  Detecting 10

cpm above background by visually averaging a needle on a meter display

cannot be done accurately and consistently.  You would need to use a

"scaler" for all of your smears.  How about starting off with 20 dpm on an

alpha smear and following the same train of thought?...  In the shipping

world, the LSA/SCO NUREG is quite clear that NRC believes that a 10% smear

efficiency should be used for DOT (49 CFR) measurements.  I believe that

most still use 100% efficiency for these measurements still and will have to

find a way to shoehorn themselves within the guidance in the NUREG.

I believe this a reasonably accurate picture of where things stand now.  Any

comments or other views on the current state of things?

Glen Vickers

glen.vickers@exeloncorp.com

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corp. proprietary

information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright

belonging to the  Exelon Corp. family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended

solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If

you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified

that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation

to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited

and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please

notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and

any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.