Criteria used to protect nuclear materials from fire

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0AC8B.051DE210

        charset="iso-8859-1"

In the most recent issue of Fire Engineering Jim Hutton of DOE wrote that

the criteria used to test overpacks and UF6 cylinder shipments 1475oF for 30

minutes is not reflective of a fuel fire in a transportation accident. He

also states that all UF6 shipments should be provided with protective

overpakes.

I am a Radiological Officer and an Emergency Responder . My primary duties

are planning for responding to and training others to respond to accidents

involving nuclear materials. In May I will be conducting a series of grant

funded training programs on response to transportation accidents involving

of DOE shipments of radioactive materials.

Could RADSAF members clarify this for me. Is this an issue, significant

concern, with respect to response, responder safety and responder actions?

What do I tell my students who for all of my career I have been telling that

these shipments are safe?

I have a concern that the fear that responders have about radiation and

radioactivity, based on this article will lead to a self fulfilling prophecy

in that they would respond to an accident involving fire like the new fuel

fire in Massachusetts, and cause a problem with one of these shipments.

I'm especially concerned about the UF6 because of its chemical hazards and

the Gore Oklahoma incident.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Gaglierd RO, EMT

Allegheny County Emergency Services

tgaglierd@achd.net

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0AC8B.051DE210

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML>

<HEAD>

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

5.5.2653.12">

<TITLE>Criteria used to protect nuclear materials from fire</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In the most recent issue of Fire =

Engineering Jim Hutton of DOE wrote that the criteria used to test =

overpacks and UF6 cylinder shipments 1475oF for 30 minutes is not =

reflective of a fuel fire in a transportation accident. He also states =

that all UF6 shipments should be provided with protective =

overpakes.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am a Radiological Officer and an =

Emergency Responder . My primary duties are planning for responding to =

and training others to respond to accidents involving nuclear =

materials. In May I will be conducting a series of grant funded =

training programs on response to transportation accidents involving of =

DOE shipments of radioactive materials.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Could RADSAF members clarify this for =

me. Is this an issue, significant concern, with respect to response, =

responder safety and responder actions? What do I tell my students who =

for all of my career I have been telling that these shipments are safe? =

</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have a concern that the fear that =

responders have about radiation and radioactivity, based on this =

article will lead to a self fulfilling prophecy in that they would =

respond to an accident involving fire like the new fuel fire in =

Massachusetts, and cause a problem with one of these =

shipments.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm especially concerned about the UF6 =

because of its chemical hazards and the Gore Oklahoma incident.</FONT>

</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks in advance.</FONT>

</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Tony Gaglierd RO, EMT</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Allegheny County Emergency =

Services</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">tgaglierd@achd.net</FONT>

</P>

</BODY>