RE: Smear Collection Efficiency

	Radsafers,

	I think that we have two different "perspectives" here.  Some of us are

looking at "contamination" in an analytical sense - i.e. how much

contamination is actually there and how do we determine/quantify that

amount.  Others of us are looking at how much contamination is "removable"

- i.e. how much will be transferred from the surface to the person or thing

that comes into contact with it.

	When, at my work, I do a survey (not wiping a sealed source/package for

removable contamination but of a "work-surface" in a laboratory), I am

initially looking for "removable" contamination.  I'm looking for something

(anything) which will leave the surface and contaminate something else.  My

initial swipes are typically in excess of 100 cm-2 because I'm "looking"

for "anything" that is radioactive.  After (if or when) I find something,

"THEN" I go back and "quantify" what is there and whether there are other

aspects of the contamination I should worry about - IS it readily removable

(or even still there), is it an external hazard, should I let it decay in

place or remove it and HOW to remove it (if necessary), etc., etc.  Well, I

don't want to write a book here, but I noticed that while everyone was

"correct" in what they were saying that it seemed that the group was

polarizing (with a couple of exceptions) and not really seeing each other's

sides....

	Just my 2 cents (and my "own" personal opinion [NOT the U.S. Navy's]),

	Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)

	SSC San Diego