radon measurement and mitigation at universities

The director of my department has asked that I conduct a poll of radsafe

members at universities concerning radon programs for resident halls and in

the workplace.  Could you respond to the following:

1. Do you have a program to measure and mitigate radon?  If not, why not.

2. If so, do you make measurements in resident halls?

3. For resident halls, do you use a guideline other than the EPA limit of 4

pCi/l for Rn-222. (e.g., NCRP-91 guideline of 2 WLM per year or about 8

pCi/l).

4. For the workplace do you use EPA guidelines or occupational limits as

defined by OSHA. (We have a consultant that has recommended that

concentrations of less than 7.5 pCi/l (Rn-222) averaged over one year need

not be mitigated.  He based it on the definition of airborne radioactivity

area in the OSHA standard.  My understanding is that 10 CFR regulations in

effect in 1971 still apply under OSHA regulations).

Please respond to me at my email address.

Danny Anglin, Radiation Safety Officer

Vanderbilt Environmental Health & Safety

Danny.anglin@vanderbilt.edu

Phone:  615-343-0761

Fax:  615-343-4951

Email:  danny.anglin@vanderbilt.edu