Re: Chernobyl " population will continue to slide toward extinction "

Clearly all heat converted on the earth initially came from the sun, abnd
certainly there is direct re-radiation of solar radiation.  However, it is
very well understood that local climate change often depends heavily (thought
maybe not 100%) on dissipated heat from some sort of energy conversion.
Example:  the Florida everglades (where there are essentially no motorized
vehicles or human habitation) cool off sufficiently at night to produce weak
temperature inversions and are noticeably cooler than South Miami, which is
at the same latitude, gets the same amount of solar irradiation, and even has
a slightly better cooling mechanism with easterlies off the ocean. (These are
direct observations:  I lived there for four years.)

There is clearly no singe identifiable "cause" for the heat that is trapped
by CO2, but I disagree strongly with a position that dismisses the very large
amount of dissipated heat generated by energy conversion.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com