Re: RADIOACTIVE RELEASES FROM NEW JERSEY NUCLEAR POWER PLANTSAND THE LINK WITH CANCER

For the record, New Jersey has a high concentration of Superfund Sites because of its industrialization, and, because we have made a very conscious effort to identify contaminated sites and deal with them through state and/or federal programs.

Also for the record, the statistically significantly elevated incidence of certain childhood cancers (leukemia in female children under 5 and brain and central nervous system cancer in children 0 to 19, some 40 cases and 160 controls) is being dealt with via case-control epidemilogical study undertaken by New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and the federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.  And, yes, radiation is only one of a number of risk factors that are being studied.  The study is due to be completed in December, 2001.

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection

609-633-7964

gnicholl@dep.state.nj.us

>>> "Thomas J Savin " <tjsav@LYCOS.COM> 04/30/01 01:48PM >>>

Greetings all;

If one looks at a map of U.S. Superfund sites - N.J. is enlarged because there are so many Superfund sites there. They have elevated cancer rates throughout the state because of all the chemical manufacturers, petroleum cracking etc...... There is so much else than just radiation! I do not give this "report" very much thought.  Someday people will consider ALL factors

---

  Lets have some saccharin, Enjoy.  Tom Savin

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:48:36

 Sandy Perle wrote:

>I've received a copy of this report. Please provide any comments (and

> I will forward them to the individual. I have the ENTIRE Word DOC,

>  including TABLES, if anyone is interested in receiving the file.

>                    Please let me know...

>                       RADIOACTIVE RELEASES

>               FROM NEW JERSEY NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS

>                      AND THE LINK WITH CANCER