Proper Shipping Names (IATA & US DoT)

Those of us who package and ship radioactive materials, instruments and

articles to foreign countries probably know that as of July 1, 2001 we will

be using different Proper Shipping Names and UN numbers for commonly

shipped items.  The list below is a partial list that we ship from our

facility that will be changing, especially if we ship with FedEx or other

overseas carriers.

My question is.... will these new proper shipping names and UNs be

acceptable to the US Department of Transportation under 49 CFR 172?

UN2911 - Radioactive material, excepted package, articles

UN2911 - Radioactive material, excepted package, instruments

UN2910 - Radioactive material, excepted package, limited quantity of material

UN2915 - Radioactive material, Type A Package, non-special form, non

fissile or fissile excepted

UN3332 - Radioactive material, Type A Package, Special Form, non fissile or

fissile-excepted

Notes:

UN2911 (Instruments and articles) were:  UN2910

UN2915 (Type A Package) was UN2982 - Radioactive material, n.o.s.

UN3332 (Type A Package) was UN2974 - Radioactive material, special form,

n.o.s.

Tad Blanchard                   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center

Sr Health Physics Tech           Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771

Parallax, Inc                                Phone: 301-286-9157

A Member of the OHI Team                     Fax:   301-286-1618

            mailto:tmblanch@pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov