Re: Californians Please Act

At 07:59 AM 4/30/01 -0700, Otto G. Raabe wrote:

>April 30, 2001

>California State Senate Bill 243, introduced by Senator Kuehl, will be

>discussed by the Senate Environmental Quality  Committee on Monday, May 7.

>(Chairman is Byron Sher.) It would be helpful to the Committee if each

>Californian radiation safety expert on this list sends a letter to that

>committee and its members with professional evaluations of the proposed

>bill. I believe you will find that the premises are fallacious, and that

>the passage of this bill would disrupt the orderly development of nuclear

>technology and place added burdens on the nuclear power industry. I believe

>that this is an anti-nuclear shark attack.

>Address you letters and to those listed at the end of this message. If any

>of the members are from your district, call them by phone as soon as possible.

>The Honorable Byron Sher, Chair, and Members

>Senate Committee on Environmental Quality

>Room 2082, State Capitol

>Sacramento, CA 95814

>============

>BILL NUMBER: SB 243

>INTRODUCED BY   Senator Kuehl on FEBRUARY 14, 2001

>   An act to add Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 115300) to Part 9 of

>Division 104 of the Health and Safety Code, relating to radiation.

>LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

>SB 243, as introduced, Kuehl.  Radiation Safety Act of 2001.

>Existing law prohibits a person from burying, throwing away, or in any

>manner disposing of radioactive wastes within the state except in a manner

>and at locations that will result in no significant radioactive

>contamination of the environment.  Existing law authorizes the State

>Department of Health Services, by written order,

>to prohibit the disposal of radioactive wastes by any person when,

>upon investigation, it has determined that the disposal violates

>existing provisions concerning radioactive contamination.  Existing

>law authorizes the department, by written order, to prohibit the

>storage, packaging, transporting, or loading of radioactive wastes if

>there is a reasonable likelihood that the activities will result in

>significant radioactive contamination of the environment.

>   The existing Radiation Control Law requires the department, among

>other things, to issue licenses, and prohibits the department from

>issuing a license to receive radioactive material for disposal unless

>specified requirements are satisfied, including that the land on

>which the radioactive wastes are to be buried is owned by the federal

>or state government.  Existing law also requires the department to

>develop an overall plan for the management, treatment, and disposal

>of low-level radioactive waste generated in California.

>   This bill would state the intent of the Legislature to do all of

>the following:

>   (1) Prohibit shallow land burial of low-level radioactive waste

>and establish minimum qualifications for operators of low-level

>radioactive waste disposal facilities.

> [...]

Dear Otto and Radsafers:

Anyone wishing a copy of the letter sent by ACNP-California, e-mail me a

request.  I agree entirely with Otto that this is very important.  I will be

out of town and out of touch for several weeks beginning this weekend, so

send me your requests as early as possible.  In a pinch, Al Pasternak has a

copy <apasconslt@aol.com>.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>