Th-232/Ra-228

I have found that thorium mill tailings of an intermediate age 20-40 years

have a higher concentration of Th-228 than Th-232.  My supposition is that

removal of the Th-232 concentrated Ra-228 in the spoils above the Th-232

concentration.  As the Ra-228 in the spoils decayed the Th-228 would build

up to an equilibrium that would be above the Th-232 concentration.

Fresh thorium mill tailings would not have this effect as the Ra-228 would

not have had a chance to ingrow to the Th-228 and the Th-228 would decay

away until supported by the Ra-228 present.  Much older tailings would have

the Th-228 close to equilibrium with the Th-232 as the Ra-228 that had been

concentrated had dropped back to the equilibrium value supported by the

Th-232 and thus the Th-228 value would decay to the supported equilibrium

level.

Erik C. Nielsen

Senior Radiochemist

Antech Ltd Waltz Mill Laboratory