Re: Th-232/Ra-228

I thought this kind of separation was fairly common when ores, tailings,

or soils containing U or Th are exposed to repeated wetting and drying

cycles.  In the Florida phosphate region, many ore bodies are overlain

by soil with elevated Ra-226 concentrations.  In Florida, I believe

water table fluctuations were the driver.  I recall a paper from a few

decades ago that discussed the same sort of process in tailings piles in

arid regions where precipitation/evaporation events were the driver.

Ralph E. Wild, Ph.D.

rewild@attglobal.net

Employed by but not speaking for:

URS Corporation