Re: Hormesis and LNT

Thank you for your questions about my comments.  I will outline my

reasoning.

What I was talking about was the necessary sample size to test for

statistical significance.  Considering that cancer has a stochastic

incidence, with a probability p.

The expected incidenc is  np   where n is the sample size and p is the

probability of cancer occurring.

The expected variance is npq   where q is the probability of cancer not

occurring.

Then, the standard deviation should be the square root of npq.

Then, the standard deviation of the incidence rate should be equal to pq

divided by the square root of n.

Hence, if we want a resolution of 0.1 times the minimum detectable with a

given sample size, we would have to use a sample equal to 10 squared (or

100) times the original sample size.

I do sometimes have a problem with being sarcastic about the Linear No

Threshold risk model.  Partly, because of misuse by the anti-nuclear

faction.