Re: Physical particle size to AMAD

I do not think there is a safe way to derive the AMAD from electron

microscope images.  The AMAD is what it says it is: the ''AERODYNAMIC MEDIAN

ACTIVITY diameter''.  You would have to know first if the particle measured

with the electron microscope is radioactive.  Then, the aerodynamic diameter

is the diameter of a sphere of density one with the same settling velocity

or mean Brownian motion velocity than the particle in your cloud of

particles.  Density and shape factors have a strong influence on the AMAD.

Further, in order to determine the M of the AMAD, you need to know the size

distribution of the particles of interest and to determine the median of the

distribution.    From electron microscope images, you can only determine the

median of the distribution.  You would have to use diffusion batteries of

the appropriate type for the size range of interest and radiation counting

to determine the AMAD.

Philippe Duport