RE: Physical particle size to AMAD

Dear Michael,

I would suggest that you use an impactor instead of the typical 25-mm or

37-mm dust sampling head.  Then you can analyse each stage (out of nine

usually) in either simple counter or a spectrometer (depending on what you

need).  After you've got the counts, quite tiresome calculation follows...

but then you have both AMAD and MMAD very easily.  From the experience I can

say that it is unlikely that you will be able to say what AMAD would be on

the basis of a physical particle diameter, - that is - unless you have heaps

of samples to 'get' the trend.

Anyway, if you will decide to use impactor, I have it all (both sampler

assembly instructions and calculations) written down for alpha-emitters

right here - please let me know if you will need it.

Kind regards

Nick Tsurikov

Eneabba, Western Australia

http://eneabba.net/ <http://eneabba.net/>