Re: Greenpeace et al. [& giving idiot children guns/energy]

The recollections of Ted Rockwell in his post about quotes equating giving
abundant energy and guns to idiot children are pretty accurate. However, the
quote directly attributed to Lovins was actually uttered by reknowned
"ecologist" Paul Ehrlich as noted below.

see link:

Click here: http://www.nuc.umr.edu/~ans/luddite.html

Contents:
"If you ask me, it'd be a little short of disastrous for us to discover a
source of clean, cheap, abundant energy because of what we would do with it.
We ought to be looking for energy sources that are adequate for our needs,
but that won't give us the excesses of concentrated energy with which we
could do mischief to the earth or to each other."- Amory Lovins - Playboy
Interview, Nov/Dec 1977, p. 22

"Giving society cheap, abundant energy ... would be the equivalent of giving
an idiot child a machine gun."-Paul Ehrlich, ``An Ecologist's Perspective on
Nuclear Power'', May/June 1978 issue of Federation of American Scientists
Public Issue Report
Return to UMR-ANS homepage.
You are looking at http://www.nuc.umr.edu/~ans/luddite.html

=====

I think it important that those who wonder why anti-nuclear activist like
Lovins, et. al.,  who seem to be so in error on their technical claims
realize these individuals have an anti-technology and social agenda that has
nothing to do with trivial to nonexistent radiation risk which they use only
as a tactic to mislead the media, public, and politicians.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
Warren, VT 06774
[802] 496-3356
email: safarbermsph@cs.com

In a message dated 6/20/01 7:08:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,