Re: [DOEWatch] Understanding the tsunami threat to coastal nuclea r power pla...

In a message dated 06/21/2001 11:52:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
frantaj@AECL.CA writes:

Neil, David wrote :

Well, if you go somewhere outside the Oort Cloud, the probability of an
encounter drops to effectively zero in a human lifetime. };-D

Not that it's realistically greater than zero for any given spot on Terra
for the same timespan.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

....but recall that Barbara Hamrick's question was :

"What I want to know is, how do I get to the nearest asteroid-free zone?"

....note the "how" !

....may I suggest nuclear propulsion as the most rapid means, providing the
shortest exposure to cosmic radiation en route ?
...and since the Oort Cloud surrounds the Solar System fairly uniformly, may
I suggest a route that takes you past that potulated earth-threatening
asteroid and blow it off course with one or more nuclear bombs ?
OK, enough of this silliness already...

Thank you both.  I'll be purchasing my anti-radiation travel ensemble soon
and a ticket on the first ship outta Oort I can find.

Barbara <---didn't think there had been quite enough silliness just yet