Re: Radon and never-smokers in Sweden

Karl,

I am not sure you can generalize about what you found in Germany to the rest

of the world.  The stigma attached to smoking varies by country and within a

country (really by the individual).  If there really was this under

reporting, it would affect both people in a study that have lung cancer and

do not have lung cancer. So with all that noise you would see no

association.  The author in a recent debate I read in my latest issue of

Radiation Protection Dosimetry addressed some of these issues (Radiat. Prot.

Dosim. 95(1),pp 75-81, 2001).  They pointed out that to find an association

between radon and lung cancer attributable to erroneous recall of smoking,

there would have to be a correlation between the poor recall and radon

concentratiosn. The author pointed out that since most of the people in a

study do not know their radon exposure at the time they are interviewed for

their smoking history, this assertation that the effect is due to poor

recall of smoking is very unlikely.  Have you read the article?

Has your study been published in a scentific journal yet?

Jim Nelson