Re: Cloud chamber Source- id

Dear Sir or Madam:

The age and source strength of Diffusion Cloud

Chambers just depends upon the manufacturer. It is

probably at least 32 years old. As part of my

"traveling Physics Lab kit" for high schools in the

area, I have right in front of me a Nucleartrack 800

made by Spectronics Corporation (NY) dated 1963.  It

still works fantastic and the physics students just

love to work with it (almost as much as my HeNe and Ar

lasers).

The sources are dated 1963 also. They are Sr-90 and

Ra-226 obviously in exempt quantities.

There are newer units with a more sophisticated

cooling outer chamber and electronic control.  They

are dated aproximatedly 1967-1969.  There may be newer

ones then this.

I would hope that this high school teacher saves

his/her unit and uses it in Physics class since many

new state standards for science education indicate

that we need these types of things to adequately teach

our students "hands on" and "problem solving-inquiry

based" much like it was done ca. 1958-1969 and how

many foreign countries teach their high school

students.  Liability is not an issue here with exempt

quantities and using a cloud chamber in high school.

Paul W. Shafer