Re: So, is reprocessing in America's future?

Ted,

Radioactive materials ARE uniquely hazardous in that no contact is necessary

for harm to be inflicted.

It is in my young experience apparent that most people respond intuitively

to the idea of ionizing radiation. Intuitively, They just don't like it. I

think it is a mistake to turn a snide smile at the intuitive response.

Intuition is not, in my book, a defect of the intellect. It is a survival

mechanism. So we are taking a chance to dismiss it entirely based on what we

think we know. The numbers on exposures and cancers in Taiwan, for example,

are far from complete or authenticated. Citing them, it seems to me,

borders on rogative  incantation....er ,wishful thinking.

Anyway, I've got two points that may or may not relieve your apparent angst

about giving ionizing radiation an undeservedly bad name.

1. Sometimes radiation is treated like the weak-sister of toxic pollutants.

EPA's CERCLA maximum permissible risk levels for various radionuclides are

one and two orders of magnitude less stringent than those for chemical

poisons. Sr-90 MCL's translate to 1 to 3 in 10,000, for example. Permissible

concentrations for many chemicals translate to risk at 1 to 6 in 1,000,000.

These are approximations, you can look up the solid numbers, but the point

is radiation gets a break in industrial site clean-up.

2. We can't protect everybody from everything. Most of us frequenting this

list seem to be focused on radioactive materials (as in, "radsafe") so there

is little gain to be had from speculating about other hazards especially

when the speculations are laced with emotionalism.

I hope this helps.    Thanks,     Ray