From: Bjorn Cedervall [mailto:bcradsafers@HOTMAIL.COM]

Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 8:37 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Po-210 in tobacco

>More than a few years ago I attended a short OSHA radiation safety

course

>taught by Dr. Herbert Cember.  In that class he opined that he thought

that

>more than 50% of lung cancers associated with cigarette smoking were

caused

>by the radioactivity (Po-210) in the cigarettes.

---

In 1977 (approx) it was stated that cigarette smoke contains at least

about

20 000 different chemical substances that are harmful to humans. I find

it

difficult to single out any one of those substances as responsible for

lung

cancers - or is there a shortcut to get the 50 % for Po-210 answer? And

in a

sense - who cares (OK we want to know about radiation risks) - when the

bottom line is "don't smoke!".

My personal ideas only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.