RE: Po-210 in tobacco

Prof Cohen,

I seem to remember hearing about the (Martell) conjecture at about the

time you indicated.  I am a bit frustrated by RP issues being left

unresolved, so thanks for pointing out the outcome of that debate.

However, opinions and data referenced still seem to range ridiculously

wide:  Quoting from the links provided by Jim Nelson on 1st July

(webspawner), one finds Po-210 data in tobacco corresponding to about

320 pCi per 20-pack, 8 pCi (Indian tobacco) to 45 pCi (American) and

0.72 pCi intake per pack.  At a pack a day, the corresponding committed

effective doses vary from 12.8 mSv (1.3 rem), down to 0.03 mSv per

annum, using an IBSS conversion factor for Po-210.  Total obfuscation.

So where does the truth lie?  One would like some clarification!  There

could be an interesting link to radon, seeing domestic radon is good for

a few mSv/a.  Radon studies in Germany have claimed smoking to be a very

powerful confounding factor, even in high radon areas.

Own musings

Chris Hofmeyr

chofmeyr@nnr.co.za