RE: Ltr to NucNews

I recevied several questions regarding the study I cited in my previous

message, so today at work I was able to look it up:

Final Report - Study of Mortality Among Female Nuclear Weapons Workers,

Sponsored by NIOSH, dated May 19, 2000.  PI - Gregg S. Wilkinson, MA,

PH.D., SUNY-Buffalo; Co-Investigators Norman Trieff, PH.D. C.I.H, Univ.

Texas Medical Branch and Robin Graham, Ph.D. Asst. Research Professor,

Univ. of Buffalo; and Biostatistician Roger L. Priore, Sc.D.,

SUNY-Buffalo. [The single-sided document is about 2 inches thick.]

The first paragraph of the SIGNIFICANT FINDINGS summary reads: "A strong

healthy worker effect, similar to that observed among male nuclear

weapons workers is observed for the entire pooled cohort of female

nuclear weapons workers, and for all of the individual subcohorts with

the exception of Linde workers.  Increased mortality from mental

disorders (Standardized Mortality Ratio (SMR=147), certain

genito-urinary system diseases (SMR=129), as well as symptoms and

ill-defined conditions (SMR=163) is found compared with deaths expected

based on U.S. death rates.  For most causes of death, mortality among

female nuclear workers is lower than expected."

In this summary, the last paragraph states, "Future research should

investigate the influence on these estimates of potential effect

modifier or confounders such as socioeconomic status, age at exposure,

time related biases, smoking behavior, chemical exposures and errors in

radiation dosimetry."

This study combined data from 12 U.S. weapons facilities.  The actual

number of women in the study is 63,338 with facility specific subcohorts

ranging in size from 305 to 23,236 individuals.

Within the abstract is a note stating "In collaboration with researchers

at the Unviersity of North Carolina, we developed questionnaires on

radiation dosimetry practivces and data resources, and on

physico-chemical exposure, industrial hygiene practices and data

resources ... Unfortuantely, fewer than half of the quesionnaires were

completed and returned."  Although not listed as authors, Steve Wing and

Susan Wolf at UNC were involved in the study design.

Interested parties can probably obtain a copy from NIOSH.  I wouldn't

quote my excerpts and comments--please go to the source.

Regards,

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net