RE: Graphite Quiz: Re: Chapelcross -(2)

Emil Murat wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: Emil Murat [mailto:kerrembaev@YAHOO.COM]

Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 9:12 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Graphite Quiz: Re: Chapelcross -(2)

	<snip>

3.1

Here comes the quiz: Reactor Designers.

 Why did they/he/she choose those materials?

a) Magnesium has a pretty look :-)

b) It is slim = has light weight. :-)

c) Both graphite and magnesium are flammables =

   temperature + free oxygen.

d) In Great Britain: Zirconium is an import product,

   Magnesium is an export product.

e) The reactor designer wanted to be a plane engineer

   rather than a nuclear.

f) A, B and E

g) C and D

Good luck, fellas!

Emil.

==================

My guess is that the answer is:

h)  the Magnox alloy has a very low thermal neutron absorption coefficient,

about a third that of zirconium.  This permitted a graphite moderated reactor

using natural uranium or only slightly enriched uranium fuel.  As I noted in an

earlier message, various constraints required that this fuel be metallic uranium

and limited the thermal efficiency of the reactor to around 30%.  The set of

properties was attractive for economic reasons in a country that did not, to the

best of my knowledge, have large uranium enrichment facilities.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA, USA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.