Re: So, is reprocessing in America's future?

Bernard, Robert,

You say, " --

    The implication in the remark I was responding to     is that radiation

is unique in that no contact is             necessary to cause harm. That

     may be so for gamma rays, but I was pointing         out that it is not

relevant to the discussion about         plutonium."

Why say, "...that may be so"? It IS so. Thediscussion or "thread" had gone

on to comparing radioactive material to other hazardous material when I

joined in. The statement was made that radioactive material is not unique.

Well, again...Yes, it is for a number of reasons, the most obvious being

that it is the only material, at least  that I can think of, that can kill

you from inside of a non-energized, hermetically sealed jar. Why cavil and

equivocate? Radioactive material presents a unique hazard! Under applied

conditions radioactive materials may be more or less hazardous than

non-radioactive toxins, but they are nonetheless, unique.

Thanks for your comments. Rest assured I'll respond to no further on this

ever so simple distinction.

I hope you will forgive me if this is not clear. English is my second

language. I have apparently not yet mastered a third: plain English.

                                                           Ray