RE: So, is reprocessing in America's future?

> [radiation]can kill

you from inside of a non-energized, hermetically sealed jar.

How is that different from, say, a charcoal fire over which a vendor roasts

chestnuts?  The fire is dangerous, so you keep it in a container and shield

bystanders from (most of) the heat.

I don't think anyone worries about the direct radiation from unshielded

radwaste.  It's easy to provide reliable shielding.  The only argument I've

heard concerns the possibility of particles leaking out and becoming

ingested.  And that problem, it seems to me, is identical to that posed by

any chemical toxicant.  Except that the radioactive material slowly but

inevitably decreases its toxicity all by itself, whereas most chemicals

don't.

Ted Rockwell