Re: Senate panel cuts Yucca ...German Wind...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Bob Hearn <rah@AMERICA.NET>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Freitag, 13. Juli 2001 19:09

Betreff: FW: Senate panel cuts Yucca ...German Wind...

generating

>resource replacement, along with some very fancy extension cords to pipe

>that electricity from sea-based windmills efficiently without impeding

>navigation.

>Bob Hearn

I have been in early May in Southern Sweden and shortly in Copenhagen,

Denmark. I recognized that an incredible number of wind turbines had been

erected since I had been last time there - in the end of the seventies. I

noted their sound - you cannot aboid it. Sweden is officially phasing out

nuclear power (what it will really be we will see the next years). In

Malmoe, Sweden, opposite Copenhagen there was an exhibition about future

development of the region. It stated, that the loss from Barsebaeck 1, which

has been laid down recently (Bjoern Cedervall sure knows more than I) would

have to be compensated by an additional 1 000 wind turbines. 1 000

windturbines!!! Are they beautiful? Do they really comply with the soft and

nice landscape of Skane, the most southern province of Sweden? There are

already too many in this area as I saw during my extensive travel in this

area, visiting many historical sites from medieval churches to stone-age

burials. The day I left from Copenhagen airport for Frankfurt and the

LSC-conference in Karlsruhe, a row of wind turbines in the sea in front of

Copenhagen came into my sight, which the same day was officially opened. How

beautiful! What a nice view from the airplane, when leaving and not having

to live in the vicinity. Now one has to multiply this row by more than

hundred to end up with the same output as a (nuclear) power plant, but

depending on wind conditions of course, while other power plants are

independent and operate of course at significantly lower costs.

In the beginning of June I spent my first real holidays for almost ten years

in southern Spain. I was more than surprised to see in the region of Tarifa,

Algeciras, Gibraltar and north of it a really excessive number of wind

turbines, where many years ago I saw a few dozens, which I regarded more

like a curiosity. It looks terrible!!!

I wonder, where the green demand for preservation of landscapes has gone?

Obviously we have now a different generation of greens to deal with, who are

willing to sacrifice and neglect, what even non-greens have always

appreciated,  for their stubborn "war" against conventional power

generation, which has always been confined to and affected small areas. What

kind of world are we living in?

Franz