Re: Germany and windpower

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Stokes, James <StokesJ@TTNUS.COM>

An: 'radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu' <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Freitag, 13. Juli 2001 22:15

Betreff: Germany and windpower

>There are consequences to every action.

>I applaude the use of multiple different sources for energy.  Balance is a

>good thing.  We must approach the mass implementation of any new technology

>with caution though, due the principal of "unintended consequences".  ie:

>How will weather in the area, and downwind of there will change?

Do not mistake the installation of wind power in Europe as a scientifically

based, environmentally well considered approach of a new technology.

Environmental groups have been able to press governments to implement in

their laws, that a certain part of electricity generation must (yes: must!!)

come from renewable energy, how much this ever might cost - and it costs a

manyfold of conventionally produced electricity. Discussions have just

finished a few days in Austria, where the different provinces of Austria

have much to the disgrace of environmental movements put maximum percentages

to this "bio-electricity", which differ from province to province. In any

one it is a few percent, which of course is much too low for the

environmental groups.  Please note that hydroelectrically produced

electricity is  n o t  regarded as renewable energy source, as well as

burning of waste. I do not know the details of Germany, but they are

obviously similar. This explains, why more is invested now in

wind-turbines - if you have to, you have to!

Hope this puts the wind-power story into right perspective.

Franz