Re: Should dose monitoring be like VIN's & odometer readings for cars?

There are national databases in the USA already, for the nuclear

power plants. The system is called INDEX, and it basically

maintains data for transient workers. For all practical purposes,

permanent site workers history is not maintained. The system

maintains personal information, training, medical, security and

dose information. The purpose of the system is to streamline in-

processing of transient workers at each site, after leaving a

previous site.

The NRC also maintains all dose history in the REIRS system as

well.

Commercial processors do maintain systems whereby clients who

use the same service, can obtain the cumulative history for the

current year dose results. We do it and our competitors offer it as

well. Be aware that dose information comes under the Privacy Act,

and the individual must sign a permission for their dose history to

be provided to one employer to another employer. We require the

employee signature, and others may not. No signature, no sharing

of dose information.

The NRC and many states require each facility to report the annual

dose to the employee, and, to provide this report to the regulatory

body. If SSN's are correct, there is a good correlation available.

In some of the European countries, transient workers must carry

what they call a dose card (dose passport) where the information is

entered in written form. They take the passport from one site to

another.

In summary, what you are asking for is not new, just not

implemented by everyone.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle