Anti-nukes, greens, TFP people, "say no to radiation" etc

Dear Radsafers,

The comment in the first paragraph below is from professor Jan Rydberg

(Nuclear Chemistry - I am sure that some of you have read "Choppin &

Rydberg"). It is an indirect response to a discussion we had on Radsafers

around late May (I sometimes send Radsafers' material to other people

outside "our" list) - I just wanted a confirmation first that it was OK to

forward this to Radsafers.

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

---------------------------------------

>No to radiation:

Should I, when I  got prostate cancer some years ago, said "no thanks" to

the doctor and good bye to my wife and children, because I abstained from

radiation treatment? Should I deny the same treatment to 100.000nds men

which each year get prostate cancer? What kind of monster these "No to

radiation" people must be. They certainly do not belong to the Christian

society, and probably not to any decent society.

Jan Rydberg

----------------------------------

From: "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@AECL.CA>

Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:52:01 -0400

Thomas J Savin wrote :

We have witnessed the anti nuke, the greens, alec baldwins, the tooth fairy,

etc.  etc..etc... The question I have is - have any of these personages (or

groups) ever gone to the dentist and had their rotting teeth x-rayed - how

about chest x-rays or other diagnostic radiation medical tests.  Does anyone

think for a minute that if radiation techniques would save Alec's life he

would turn it down to become a martyr.  I do not think so. Why am I still

alive after I had diagnostic tests (using labeled iodine, created from

nuclear generators) twenty years ago?  I am in great health. I guess I

wanted to share thoughts about reality and the humongus benefits radiation,

radionuclides, and power has to offer.

I believe the anti nuclear people are hypocrits.

Any Thoughts?

<><><><><><><><>

Yes, I have thoughts -- similar to yours....

....during the recent direct-action demonstrations against spent fuel

shipments in Germany, it has occurred to me that perhaps it might be a good

idea to institute a policy which, FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE HEALTH of these

antinuke demonstrators, denies them any sort of medical diagnostic or

treatment procedure involving radiation or nuclear things of any type

(x-rays, radiopharmaceuticals, nuclear magnetic resonance scans, etc.).

It would be interesting to watch the effects of such a policy -- how many

decide to "become martyrs" and how many decide to abandon their

silliness....

Jaro