Re: Newsarticle: Cold War's Human Costs Linger

See the following article on the military personnel at Crossroads (which I

think is closer to 43,000, but the data was limited to about 40,000).  I

don't have the report here. I think somebody walked away with it.  I would

expect that it would be easy to find on the NAS/NRC web site pubs.

An article, "No increase in radiation-related deaths seen in US Œatomic

veteransı " by Michael McCarthy in the Lancet, November 1996, reports on the

National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine [IOM] study of

approximately 40,000 US servicemen who participated in Operation Crossroads

nuclear bomb tests in 1946 compared with a control group, finding that

exposure to ionizing radiation did not cause increased mortality among

Crossroads participants.  For the more complete Lancet report see:

http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/1-2/5/1/12513lu96.html

Again, this is the military (primarily Navy) contingent which had not been

included in the previous studies of Crossroads and other tests (which

exposed AEC and civilian participants to more radiation! :-)  A friend who

invented the film and took the pictures of the exploding weapons for EG&G

had to go get the film after the shots.  And he, like most, was limited to 5

rem in a test series!  He witnessed more explosions close up than anybody

(including the "above the atmosphere" shots) and figured he didn't get much

more than 100 rem lifetime. For the others, see also:

http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/1-2/5/1/12512mc96.html

 and

http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/1-2/5/1/12511ya94.html

Uhh...  Yes, I said "scam."  Dozens of other studies come to the same

conclusions. It takes special cases of dishonesty to make out that people

are dying of such doses.  And they, like Michaels and the DOE people who

made up the data to justify the cold war heroes scam, know it.  Did

Richardson? or just a dope being led by the nose?

Jim

===