Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

I believe the question to be legitimate, and it is not the purpose of the medical profession to judge patients who seek advice. If I remember my biology correctly, it takes several weeks to produce mature sperm, so theoretically the couple should be in the clear to conceive a child using healthy sperm.  However, I would venture a guess that the sensitive sperm-producing mechanism might be damaged in some way by a high radiation dose, perhaps irreparably so. Therefore the sperm produced could be damaged and lead to the inability to fertilize an egg, or perhaps produce a defective embryo if fertilization should occur.

Someone responded that age of the mother was often implicated in (chromosome) defects and this is true, there is a statistically increased risk of having a baby with Down’s or some other chromosome abnormality after age 35. However, most babies with chromosome abnormalities are born to younger women simply because this age group has the most babies. I suppose the theory is that the older you get, the more likely your eggs (ova) are to be damaged. After all, girls are born with all the ova they will ever have, they are not created on an ongoing basis as are sperm.

I have a 4 month old daughter with a rare chromosome abnormality who was diagnosed at 25 weeks gestation (I was age 33 when she was conceived). Unlike Down’s syndrome, which is a trisomy condition (in which there is an extra 21st chromosome), my daughter’s syndrome is caused by a deletion of part of one of the 4th chromosomes. I have learned there are all types of chromosome disorders; trisomies, monosomies, rings, translocations, etc.  I’ve often wondered about the mechanism for various types of chromosome damage ever since my radiation biology class several years ago, but living with it on a daily basis is far removed from the textbooks. And yes, at least one of my relatives has questioned whether my occupational radiation exposure “caused” my daughter’s condition (not that my exposure was ever significant!). I suspect the mechanisms for each of the abnormalities are very different. I would expect science to answer many of these questions in the next several years.