Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

I had intended to stay out of this debate.  However, a few

technical corrections are in order.

First, it is not our business to advise the patient of the

ethical aspects of conceiving additional children at his

age.  We are not physicians.  Our business is to advise

(typically to the patient's physician) of the radiation

risk involved.

Two lines of events can happen to spermatogenesis from

irradiation of the testis:

1. Early stages (e.g., spermatogonia) are most sensitive to

the lethal effects of radiation.  These are deterministic

effects.  If the dose is sufficient, there will be a period

of reduced fertility or even sterility, which will occur

some weeks to months postexposure.  The maturation time for

human sperm, from spermatogonia A to mature spermatozoa, is

about 10 weeks.

2.  Late stages, especially mature spermatozoa, are mose

sensitive to minor alteration in DNA, typically called

point mutations.  Thus, the period immediately after

exposure is at greatest risk of passage of a mutation to

the offspring.

>From the standpoint of genetic effects of radiation, the

patient should be advised to refrain from conception until

there is near complete turnover of the cells in the

spermatogenic process.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-1477

Professor, Emeritus                       FAX: 615-322-1474

Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

209 Oxford House

Nashville TN 37232-4245        Email:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress

discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money."

                                       Alexis de Tocqueville

                                       Democracy in America