Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Gibbs, S Julian <s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu>

An: Radsafe Mail list <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Samstag, 21. Juli 2001 21:13

Betreff: Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

>I had intended to stay out of this debate.  However, a few

>technical corrections are in order.

>First, it is not our business to advise the patient of the

>ethical aspects of conceiving additional children at his

>age.  We are not physicians.  Our business is to advise

>(typically to the patient's physician) of the radiation

>risk involved.

I totally disagree. We (or at least I) are not the typical one track minded

idiots our counterparts (greens and the like) want to have us and describe

us in the mass media, just clinging to one very narrow minded question and

neglecting everything outside and the impact our work may have. We are human

beings and therefore we are not only entitled, but obliged to have an

opinion and to utter it about such questions like a 67 year old "man"

wanting to foster a child - even after a prostate implant treatment. Are you

implementing that there should be given a - strictly radiation risk based -

advice that he should foster a  child 2, 5, 10, 30, 35, 36 days after

treatment? Shame about you! The only advice for a 67 years old man can be:

Forget it. Whether he had a prostate treatment or not. Therefore any

question to a radiation protection professional is obsolete. I hope you

would tell this a medical doctor asking you this question.

I recognize that until now, no answer has been given as to the waiting time

for  younger  men in reproductive age, who unfortunately had to undergo this

treatment. This would probably help many men and physicians.

The discussions about this topic will not help anybody. Therefore this is my

last message concerning the 67 year old man who wants to foster a

child.------Sorry I forgot, the "problem" is the prostate implant.......

Franz