Pu Wound Monitor- at Hanford

Hanford uses a planar germanium detector and a 10-minute count for quantitative

wound monitoring.  As a quick-and-dirty tool for monitoring during wound

decon/debridement we have an old Eberline ESP-1 with a Bicron B1G-LE thin NaI

probe, which may be used in either a count rate or scalar mode, depending on the

levels.  Our principal concern has been weapons grade Pu which now has quite a

bit of Am-241 ingrown.  This combination of instruments works well, but

fortunately we haven't needed to use them much in recent years.  The combination

should work well for reactor grade Pu, with its much higher Pu-238 and Am-241

content, particularly if the material has aged.

Contact me or Tim Lynch (the Hanford In Vivo Monitoring Program Manager) if you

would like more info.

Gene Carbaugh, CHP

Staff Scientist and Technical Lead

Hanford Internal Dosimetry Program