RE: radioactivity from fossil fuel power stations

Just for fun and based only my personal experiences in southern Ohio coal

mines.

Firstly, I agree with Ruth's comments and know of few mines which are

back-filled though I understand some of this is being done in areas of West

Virginia where the land can be turned to commercial use.

Some additional radon release can be realized from coal mines through the

following mechanisms:

1.  Strip mines are generally large v-like gouges in the earth with the

sides sharply sloped and a road at the bottom.  Where the surface area

present to the atmosphere prior to the mine was just the local surface, the

area after the mine more than doubles (i.e. both sides and the road).  Given

that the radon production to the atmosphere is roughly a function of type of

soil and surface area, then the strip mine will cause some small increase in

radon release (via diffusion) to the atmosphere because of the additional

surface present.  I suspect I would have a hard time measuring it.

2.  Deep tunnel mines slope into the earth with multiple branches.  Again,

because of the tunnel surface area presenting a sink to radon diffusing

through the ground, radon in the tunnel air will build up (remember all

those folks around the turn of the century who traveled to mines for the

mineral air) to the extent that the air turn over permits the build up.

Most coal mines have ventilation shafts, and the variation in local air

pressure between the tunnel face and the vent shafts drives significant air

currents through the tunnels (like being in a cool moist hurricane sometimes

when you stand at the face).  Here is an area where I'm sure it would not be

hard to measure the additional radon output.

I make no claims as to magnitude or consequences, only note that some

increase (size unknown) will be realized.

Hal